2D Super Mario
Did you know that Super Mario was one of the first video game characters? Here are some other video game facts:
- Video games can be played on a number of different platforms. This includes game consoles, handheld systems, computers, mobile phones, and others.
- The first coin operated video games were introduced in the 1970’s with titles such as ‘Computer Space’ and ‘Pong’ gaining popularity.
- In the past the primary input for video games has been the handheld controller, this has changed recently as game makers look to capture new audiences with new interactive input devices. Examples of this include cameras which respond to user movement, guitars, microphones, touch screens, motion sensitive controllers and more.
- Video game genres are wide and varied. Examples of popular genres include action adventure, strategy, role playing, sports, racing, simulation and puzzle.
- Making video games has become big business and creating a high quality game often takes the input of a large number of game developers for the game to be successful. As well as a high number of graphic designers and programmers, other skills such as management, writing and music are also important to the final product.
- With the rise of the Internet gaming has seen a strong growth in the field of multiplayer games. While this previously was limited to playing with someone in the same location, it now includes people interacting with each other who are in different cities, countries or even living on opposite sides of the globe.